Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Is it common when hiring a firm to handle email campaigns that the links will point to their own server instead of directly to my website?

Hired a firm to send 50,000 emails to people in my city. In the sample email they sent me the links went straight to my site with the Google Analytics tags intact. On the actual emails that went out, my link was replaced with links to the company's own servers which then use 302 redirects to point to my site with the UTM tags.

My Google Analytics and server logs are all sorts of crazy, showing almost all of the traffic coming from a handful of IPs. The company claims this is because the traffic was routed through their server. I don't understand how that's possible since ultimately the client browser does end up at our site with our URL and intact Analytics tags showing up.

Any ideas how something like that could happen? And is it common for the links themselves to route through the marketer's domain and redirect instead of being direct to us?

submitted by /u/LaphroaigAndRibeye
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Emailmarketing/comments/i8na1h/is_it_common_when_hiring_a_firm_to_handle_email/

No comments:

Post a Comment